What is the Best Age for Sculptra®?
As one of the few cosmetic-only dermatology practices in New Orleans, we receive countless patients each week that want to refresh their facial appearance. Wrinkles and expression lines are an inevitable consequence of aging, but fortunately, multiple treatments can prevent, stop, or even revert these common signs. Among the options, Sculptra® injections have been gaining increasing popularity. But are all patients still on time to benefit from this treatment?
How Does Sculptra® Work?
Sculptra® is one of the many types of dermal fillers available. However, these injections have a remarkable particularity. Unlike most fillers, made of hyaluronic acid, the active component in Sculptra® is a synthetic substance known as poly-L-lactic acid. When injected into the skin, this acid replenishes collagen in targeted areas, filling wrinkles, frowns, and expression lines. However, its effects are not limited to aging signs: Sculptra® can also improve the appearance of sunken cheeks, hollow temples, and undefined jawlines.
When is the Best Time to Receive this Cosmetic Treatment?
There’s no perfect age to get Sculptra® treatment, but there’s an appropriate moment for a particular patient. Having said so, it is a fact that most people who choose these injections are at least in their 30s. At this age, the skin starts showing signs of a deficit in collagen, manifested by the appearance of wrinkles and expression lines. This is a consequence of a natural reduction in the production rate of collagen, a physiological process that usually starts at the age of 25.
However, some factors accelerate volume loss. Genetics, severe diseases, heavy drinking, tobacco use, and unprotected sun exposure can trigger premature aging of the skin. Therefore, some patients may benefit from this treatment earlier in life, so the best age to seek Sculptra® treatment is when you are over 18 and concerned about your facial appearance.
Am I a Suitable Candidate for Sculptra® Injections?
Most healthy men and women between 25 and 75 can choose this treatment to refresh their facial features. However, we may recommend a different alternative in the following situations:
- Patients that are seeking immediate results.
- We don’t recommend this treatment for those with autoimmune problems like multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Pregnant women or those breastfeeding.
- Patients under 18. It’s better to wait until they are older.
- People experiencing skin issues such as outbreaks, rashes, or redness. It’s recommended to wait until those conditions subside.
- Sculptra® may not be suitable for patients with a tendency to develop keloids (overgrown scars) or hypertrophic scarring (mild overgrown scars). As the body already overproduces collagen at the healing site, an injection of this substance may not be beneficial.
- Patients on treatment with aspirin, blood thinners, or anti-inflammatory drugs. Being honest with your dermatologist about the medication you are taking is essential to ensure your body will be compatible with Sculptra®.
Sculptra® Treatment in New Orleans, LA
Would Sculptra® injections be right for you? Please, contact Etre Cosmetic Dermatology & Laser Center and schedule a consultation with our dermatologists. You can expect exceptional treatment and attentive care from Dr. Lisa Donofrio and Dr. Kyle Coleman since your very first appointment!